I had a conversation with a friend tonight about the NTC and the potential of it with its next leader. While talking to him, I found myself running down the list of things that you have done in your tenure as President of the NTC, and tears came to my eyes. You really have done such amazing things in your role of leader and ambassador of Nashville’s technology community. No matter what anyone says, that is what you have been, and I for one already miss you in that role.
For anyone who doesn’t know, I want to just share a sample of the things that you did (with the help of the amazing team that you built, inspired and led) in your short time that were completely amazing:
- You showed up to Barcamp Nashville, and opened up to that community to find out how the NTC could serve that community.
- You opened up the board to startup founders.
- You created the Nashville Tech Awards.
- You brought wifi to Downtown Nashville.
- You brought Steve Ballmer here to speak.
- You created FirstCamp
- You brought out the numbers to show that Nashville has over 2000 open jobs in the tech sector.
- You connected people from all over the state, and organizations from all over the country to become more aware of the tech growth and opportunity in Nashville
- You were a member of the Leadership Music class of 2011 “Scrappiest Class Ever” and you represented the tech sector to that organization with vigor and passion.
- You connected the establishment and the startup sector in Nashville (to the best of your ability… ).
- You grew NTC membership and attendance at events to unprecedented levels.
- You were one of the most important forces in the creation of the Entrepreneur Center (I was there, this is a fact).
- You never dropped the ball with the NTC in terms of sponsorship and your fiduciary duties.
- You were present at EVERY event! Geek Breakfast, Barcamp, Podcamp, Startup Weekend, Golf Tournaments, etc. You were always there to support Nashville.
- You built the brand #techville.
- You helped form new startups like HealthDataSource.
- You were a founding member of Jumpstart Foundry.
- You travelled with the Mayor to every major city in the US to spread the word about Nashville’s tech future.
- You were (and still are) my friend, a coach and a mentor.
I know I’m not doing it justice at all. I know that any other member of the NTC would have an entirely different list of amazing things that you did. Maybe The Naked Hospital. Maybe InfoSec. Maybe the CIO dinners. Maybe the Technology Fund. Who knows, you have done so much stuff that it is overwhelming, and hard to know what to point out.
You’re simply amazing Tod. We are so lucky to have you here in Nashville, and the next NTC president has HUGE shoes to fill. Thank you for all that you have done. Nashville is now #Techville because of you.